Can you believe it’s July already? Summer is officially here and what says summer more than watermelon? These DIY mini watermelon slices are super simple to make – wouldn’t they be great favors for a pool party?
I hadn’t used instant paper maché mix until this project, but it was so great to work with! All you do is add water to the pulp, mush it together, and apply onto your project. So much tidier than regular paper maché!
What You Need
- Styrofoam balls
- Wire cutters
- Instant paper maché mix
- Craft knife
- Black marker
- Use the craft knife to carefully cut the styofoam balls into six wedges each.
- Add water to the instant paper maché pulp and mix. Apply onto the foam wedges rubbing to smooth and keep even. Let dry completely. (Note: I found this instant paper maché at the dollar store but similar is available online here. You could also use the regular paper maché method of newspaper and glue.)
- Paint the watermelons! Let dry.
- Use a black marker to draw seeds onto the watermelon slices.
- Cut a piece of wire about 2” long and bend into a U shape. Insert into the watermelon slice to turn it into a charm. You could also apply glue around the wire to make this joint more secure if needed.
- Thread onto a string as a playful necklace or add string loops onto the wire for cute summer charms.
Happy crafting! 🙂